Friday, June 19, 2009

I got my WARN letter today. The Fedex man so joyously rang my doorbell, and handed it to me. I suppose he was smiling just because he was a nice guy, and he had no idea what he was handing me. This is a letter that tells me AA is laying off 7.5 percent of the f/as and that my seniorily number is included. This is the second such letter I have received in my career with AA. The first time, I escaped the layoff by 5 people, and was transferred to St. Louis. That was fine, as I was single, and flexible. That was in 2003. It is amazing that 6 years later, things are still so terrible. I have been stressing over this for a few days now, and am really starting to worry. I would love to be a stay at home mom, but on my own terms!!! According to the letter, if my job is safe, I will get another letter before October1. If I do not get another letter before October 1, then I am furloughed. I think I might have to up my dosage of antidepressants to deal with this stress of not knowing for the next 3 months.... (I am only half way joking here)...

I just have to remind myself that it will work out. It will, life usually has a way of working out just exactly the way it is supposed to... except when it doesn't.... (oops the pessimist snuck out)...

Let's just say I do have to find a new job. What in God's name will I do? What am I qualified for? And DO NOT say waiting tables!!!! I have no experience in anything besides nursing, consoling, hurrying, challenging, policing, people onboard an airplane. I just do not know what I am qualified to do. And the other thing... I do not WANT to do anything else. I like my job.

I am going to try not to cry, try not to stress, and try to just think of the optimistic possibilities ahead if I do indeed become another member of our unemployeed society come October 1~

3 comments:

Amy said...

Mallie that sucks! Three months of not knowing is annoying! I hate that you have to go through all of this.

I think with your ability with words you should write a book, about a FA and the craziness you have experienced. You've got some good stories.

shelle said...

I am sure everything will work out. It is hard not knowing and the job market is tough....I have been looking for a job for over 3 months now without success. But like you said things happen for a reason...hang in there!

LynnAnn said...

Oh Mallie! I'm so sorry! I'll be praying for you.