Thursday, September 11, 2008

9-11

This day brings tears to my eyes. Anytime I think of what happened 7 years ago, I am overcome with emotion. The other day I was talking with some friends about 9-11. One such friend likes to watch the movies and shows, subjecting the attacks. One friend does not like to watch any of that at all. It is interesting to me, the effect that the attacks had on people. I have never met a person yet that was not greatly affected by what happened.

I am sure it is something that stopped time. Everyone can tell you exactly what they were doing when they heard the news. Some people could tell you what they were wearing and who all called them to make sure everything was ok. I was off from work that day. I lived with Courtnee, another flight attendant and very good friend. She was also off of work. We had just transferred to DFW from Boston, and of course were concerned about our Boston based flight attendant friends. I will NEVER forget all of the calls that I got that day. I will also NEVER forget that my cell phone was turned off and I was not at my own house, so my parents could not locate me... They were worried.
I remember watching with horror the planes and the crash of the tower. I remember calling the AA number with friend's names to try and make sure everyone was okay. Courtnee and I were together, making calls. When we called about one classmate and friend, the counselor said, "I can not confirm if she was on the flight." With all of the others she said, "they were not working that flight." Basically, we concluded that our classmate, Jeanie was onboard flight 11 from Boston to LAX. It was shocking. When the final lists came out in the media, as well as AA, I had flown with several of the BOS f/as. Boston is a small base, everyone knows each other. It is much more friendly, and comfortable. In DFW, I rarely see the same face twice. Boston is different.

As much of an outsider as I was to all of this, I felt so close. I felt (like everyone, I am sure) that I was attacked. Still to this day, I am in disbelief of what happened to our country. I am amazed that anyone, much less many, were sick enough to plan and execute such a mass terror. I pray for those families that lost their loved ones. I pray for the souls of the lost ones. I pray that this sort of thing never happens again.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

Very well said. I remember thinking of you that day, and hoping you were ok...emotionally and physically.

The Hake Family said...

This is one of my favorite blogs that you have done. From the heart and perfectly said.

Holly said...

I'm so thankful that you were protected on that day. You were the first person I thought of when I heard the news. Love you!

Mom said...

True.

shelle said...

I love this post. I think many people have forgotten about 9-11 and only think of it once a year. I happen to think about it everyday of my life as it is the reason my family is separated most of the time.