Friday, May 9, 2008

Life cycle

Right after Gates was born, my grandfather, Softhair, had a heart attack. Thankfully, he is back home and feeling okay. When this happened though, and he was in the hospital, I started thinking about our life cycle.
My great-aunt Mel Ruth passed away last night. Again, I began to think about our life cycle and the emotions that are involved with it. When a new life enters our world we are so overjoyed with wonderful feelings. When a life ends we feel so sad and full of mourning we often feel compltely left behind. When we are born, we come into the world crying. We do not want to exit that comfortable home that has kept us so safe for 10 months. We then begin to live our lives, and for most of us we are in some level scared of death. We enter the world scared and then we immediately start worrying about our exit. We should never have been scared of entering, think how much better we have it once we are born into the world. I have a feeling death is much like that. Scared for no reason at all.

My heart goes out to Martha Kate, because she has lost her mother. My heart goes out to John D because he has lost a wife of over 50 years. I pray that they can have some kind of peace in knowing that Mel Ruth is no longer suffering and that she has completed her journey on this earth. She certainly brought joy to so very many people, right from the time she exited her mother's warm and comfortable womb! She never stopped bringing happiness, and intelligence, and her savvy ways to all of us who were lucky enough to know her.

No comments: