Friday, May 30, 2008

Yesterday, my grandfather died. He was almost 86 years old. His birthday is June 30. Deathday is May 29. I have always been close to him. His wife, my grandmother, died 9 years ago August. We had a lot in common, he was a pilot, and I think he loved that I was flying. He always liked to tell me stories of the flying and war, and how when the war was over AA offered him a pilot job. My grandmother said he had been gone enough, and that he should take another job in Paris.
He was so generous and so thoughtful. My mom was born on Christmas (hence the name Carol) and so he "gave" mom his birthday. Every June he would give her a gift, and tell her Happy Birthday. Maybe I should do that for her this year?
Mom is in Paris and she was able to see him before he died. He told her he was so happy to see her and that he loved her. Same with her brother, Mike. Mom said it was like he was waiting for them to say goodbye. How sad, I know. But also very comforting. Closure was not really there when my grandmother died, so I know she is glad that she had some with her "daddy".
I called him Softhair. He was also Grandaddy, and Papa. He had a little dog that gave him sooo much joy. TJ. TJ is going to live with my great-uncle. I am hoping that he will bring Ralph joy. Sometimes I wonder if dogs grieve. I think that they do, they must know that something is different. The memorial for Col. Dean Aikin will be tomorrow afternoon. I know it must be so hard for my mom to go through all of his belongings and have to take care of all of these things. A sad, sad trip down memory lane, I am sure.

3 comments:

The Hake Family said...

This just made me so teary-eyed. You said this so incredibly well. I'm sure he is so proud of you. You just have to know that his 'soft hair' lives on in baby Gates.

Meggan and Trent said...

Mallie, I am so sorry. That brought tears to my eyes, too. I will be praying for you guys.

Ruth said...

What a wonderfully written tribute to an obviously very loved and very special man. My prayers are with you and your whole family.